Monday, October 04, 2010

New hearing aid

I've been wearing my new hearing aid since February this year, and I've just been back to my audiologist for a review. I had to report that I've been absolutely delighted with it; it's the best one I've ever used. I hardly ever touch the volume controls any more as the aid is sensitive to the different acoustic environments I go through and adjusts itself automatically. The windblock technology is a special advantage as I can now go walking in the country and up in the hills without having to put up with the wind howling in the microphone; I used to have to switch my old hearing aid off when walking up Snowdon &c because the noise from the wind was just unbearable!
I chose a silver coloured aid this time (it matches my hair!); perhaps next time I'll be bolder and choose a bright primary colour like the ones David Hockney wears. I don't want to hide my deafness by wearing a "discreet" device which nobody can tell is there.
All the same it is amazing how much is packed into such a tiny device; as a child I wore a bulky body aid which I clipped into my shirt pocket and which was connected to the earpiece by a long wire. I hated the rustling noise from clothing, but to this day I still always choose shirts with a breast pocket.
The aid is a Phonak Versáta Micro; it is a powerful device which suits my fairly severe hearing loss. I'm looking forward to future developments which will enable me to connect easily to my mobile phone and other devices.
I got the aid privately; it cost me a lot but it is just so much better than my NHS aid that I reckon the higher quality is well worth paying for. I'm keeping hold of my NHS aid as a spare, though.
I'm still having to relearn to listen to music, and to join in singing effectively, as the new aid protects my ears from sudden surges in volume. There is a special music programme available for the aid which I'll look at on my next audiology review.

Matthew

2 comments:

Rebecca Kavel said...

The silver-colored hearing aid looks so formal. Well, it's safe to say that your hearing aid is money well-spent because you are now relearning to listen to music and singing. That is better than hearing nothing, right? Cheers to you! :)

Matthew Edwards said...

Thanks, Rebecca. Perhaps next time I'll choose one of those aids in bright primary colours like the ones David Hockney wears!
I'm still very pleased with the aid after over a year of using it, and enjoying music and singing more than ever. Cheers!